Friday, November 19, 2010

Dancing for a Dream

On November 15th we hosted an event in Roy Irving Theater to support and promote Dream Act/Immigration awareness. We had many people come out ins support of this and we danced from 9 PM to 12 AM. I specifically found this dance to be motivating and inspiring because I have little cousins who would be eligible for the dream act and it's hard to look at them and tell them their current options in regards to higher education and their future dreams of becoming a doctor. I really think this motivated me to start this project and be among the last to leave the dance floor.
We had our salsa class present and that was always a plus because together we danced and did our shine routine. We also had an array of music playing which wasn't limited to salsa- we had bachata and merengue as well...but I secretly wish we had vallenatos. All in all the event kept me sweating from start to finish and I really tried not only to look like I knew what I was doing but to have fun while doing it. Composure and style were the two main focus points.
There is always a wish to have more male dance partners present at these events because they are so scarce when it comes to dancing- but the few that showed up were greatly appreciated. Moreover, I really liked that I saw certain individuals that weren't from our salsa class present and that they showed up to support this event. Now I am no professional dancer by any means but I took someone who was sitting down- who wasn't from our salsa class- and I tried to teach him the basic one.two.three.five.six.seven routine. At first he really didn't want to learn and it is completely understandable why not- no one wants to look like they don't know how to dance. But after much insistence he tried and he was actually pretty decent! A lot better than when I first learned the routine. So we danced and that was great. I felt like-although i'm still not good- i'm getting better and that practicing improves what little rhythm I have. Perhaps it's muscle memory but maybe it's inspiration that made a difference that night...

No comments:

Post a Comment