Saturday, October 30, 2010

"The Salsa Queens"

I would have never expected salsa class to make me feel beautiful; especially not last Wednesday, with the humid rain and breezy wind.

I always thought of salsa to be enduring, a physical sport-like activity. Due to Wednesday’s two hour practices, Thursday mornings are usually filled with aches and bodily pains. Because of this, I believed dancing was much more instructional (perhaps even calculated and timed.) I guess a part of it is- the rhythm counting and the tune plays a huge part in how you dance. But sometimes...a tune just complicates things.

I never thought it would make me feel beautiful. I would awe at other female salsa dancers who, with their graceful limbs, twirled and whirled around the dance floor- usually in their stilettos. How beautiful, how feminine, how un-karlaish. I wouldn’t have the guts to attempt anything as majestic, and if I was drunk enough to try I would surely look ridiculous!

On Wednesday October 27th our salsa class was separated in two. One halve of the class practiced with their partners while the other halve, my halve, practiced their “shines.” I’m not going to lie- I sighed. I sighed heavily! I wanted to practice with a partner for the sole fact that it’s more practical. When we go to socials we will have to dance with others, so I wanted to get as much hands on experience as possible.

We learned this really cool move though- one that we didn’t think we could initially do. I wish I knew or remembered the name because it’s so elaborate and impressive. All of the students grunted when Dr.Trillo first showed us because it looked so impossible! But it turned out to be rather straightforward- Right foot: kick, tap, land, Left foot: toe tap, heel tap, toe tap again, FOOT STOMP. Now if you count the steps you would notice that there are eight. This was our first eight stepped move. One.two.three five.six.seven. EIGHT. I capitalize because the eight shouts! “Cockroach stomping,” they call it.

Well, we all did it. Me of course, the worst dancer of the bunch, took a little extra time but I got it, I got it. Then we began adding on moves that we had already learned and we even learned another new move. This move was sexy- is that correct, calling a move tantalizing? Ha! Well, it certainly felt that way. Extremely inviting, passionate, and risqué. It was the crossing of the right foot over the left, crossing the left over the right, and so on and so forth until we finished the seven step count. But I must point out that there was an intentional exquisite pause between the three and the five.

Once we finished with that move, and whilst our instructor departed to instruct the other halve on their partner dancing routine, our halve continued to add on to our four move routine. We added moves that we already knew: the Susie Q, the cross-body, and about three others!

Something wonderful happened just then. We were really, really, really, really good! And it was a routine! We never did routines- and now we were doing it by ourselves. Our halve of the room was all females and so we began to proclaim we were the “Salsa Queens.” Ha! It was silly but it was motivating. All of us caught a drift, followed a motion, watched and reacted to one another. Moreover, we began asserting we were the “Better Halve,” which was extremely funny because everyone on the opposite side of the room just glanced in remote confusion. It wasn’t meant to discredit them, but I think it was more for our esteem.

Even when I messed up- skipped a step or forgot the next move- I kept it going. Dr.Trillo calls this muscle memory, I call it a miracle. I would pick up the step and continue the routine. I don’t think I could have done that a week ago. The beat stuck to me, and I stuck to it. I felt beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment